Using Computing Containers and Continuous Integration to Improve Numerical Research Reproducibility
Cloud computing has opened new options of collaboration between research teams in the field of high performance computing and numerical research. Running computational workloads in virtual machines became common in recent years. However, the use of computing containers provides many additional advantages besides just proving new possible runtime choice. One of the most important (and often underappreciated) is an option to improve the reproducibility of research results based on complex mathematical modeling. This paper provides an overview of architecture based on computing containers and continuous integration tools we used to achieve reproducible numerical results
. U. Markwardt. “Running Virtual Machines in a Slurm Batch System”, presented at Slurm User Group Meeting, Washington DC, USA, 2015. [On-line]. Available: http://slurm.schedmd.com/SLUG15/SlurmVM.pdf [June 01, 2018].
. W. Felter, A. Ferreira, R. Rajamony, J. Rubio. "IBM Research Report. Performance Comparison of Virtual Machines and Linux Containers." [On-line]. Available: http://domino.research.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/papers/0929052195DD819C85257D2300681E7B/$File/rc25482.pdf [June 01, 2018].
. C. Kniep. "Containerization of High Performance Compute Workloads using Docker." [On-line]. Available: http://doc.qnib.org/2014-11-05_Whitepaper_Docker-MPI-workload.pdf [June 01, 2018].
J. Cito, V. Ferme, H.C. Gall. "Using Docker Containers to Improve Reproducibility in Software and Web Engineering Research." in Web Engineering. ICWE 2016. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 9671. A. Bozzon, P. Cudre-Maroux, C. Pautasso (eds). Springer, 2016.
L.H. Hung, D. Kristiyanto, S.B. Lee, K.Y. Yeung. "GUIdock: Using Docker containers with a common graphics user interface to address the reproducibility of research." PLoS One, 11(4):e0152686, 2016.
A. Ermakov, A. Vasyukov “Testing Docker Performance for HPC Applications” IOSR Journal of Computer Engineering, vol. 20, pp. 36-43, 2018.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to reject the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.