Filtering Approaches in Medical Image Processing: A Tutorial
This paper presents popular filtering approaches adopted in medical image processing. It is aimed to serve as a beginner’s guide in Medical Image processing to undergraduate and graduate students of Electrical engineering and Computer science. A general overview of various steps involved in medical image acquisition and analysis is presented. Various statistical distributions representing practical noise problems in images are indicated and corresponding filtering techniques like statistics based filters, frequency domain filters, optimal and adaptive filters have been briefly discussed.
R. M. Rangayyan. Biomedical Image Analysis. CRC Press, 2005.
R. M. Rangayyan. Introduction to Biomedical Signals. in Biomedical Signal Analysis, 1, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2015.
R. M. Rangayyan. Frequency domain Characterization of Signals and Systems. in Biomedical Signal Analysis:A Case-Study Approach , 1, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2002.
Papoulis. Probability Random Variables and Stochastic Processes. New York: McGraw-Hill 1965.
R. M. Rangayyan. Biomedical Signal Analysis: A Case-Study Approach. New York NY: Wiley 2002.
R. C. Gonzalez, P. Wintz. Digital Image Processing. MA Reading: Addison-Wesley 1987.
S. Haykin. Adaptive Filter Theory. 4th ed. Englewood Cliffs NJ: Prentice Hall PTR 2002.
R. Hunt, ‘Digital Image Processing" in Applications of digital signal processing Englewood Cliffs:Prentice Hall 1978.
P. Dhawan, R. M. Rangayyan, R. Gordon, "Image restoration by Wiener deconvolution in limited-view computed tomography" Applied Optics vol. 24 pp. 4013-4020 December 1985.
N. V. Thakor and Y. S. Zhu "Applications of adaptive filtering to ECG analysis: Noise cancellation and arrhythmia detection " IEEE Trans. Biomedical Engineering vol. 38 no. 8 pp. 785-794 1991.
Rangayyan RM, Ciuc M, Faghih F, “Adaptive Neighborhood filtering of images corrupted by signal-dependant noise” Applied Optics, 37(20): 4477-4487,1998.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to reject the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.