Survey on Emotion Recognition Using Facial Expression
Automatic recognition of human affects has become more interesting and challenging problem in artificial intelligence, human-computer interaction and computer vision fields. Facial Expression (FE) is the one of the most significant features to recognize the emotion of human in daily human interaction. FE Recognition (FER) has received important interest from psychologists and computer scientists for the applications of health care assessment, human affect analysis, and human computer interaction. Human express their emotions in a number of ways including body gesture, word, vocal and facial expressions. Expression is the important channel to convey emotion information of different people because face can express mainly human emotion. This paper surveys the current research works related to facial expression recognition. The study attends to explored details of the facial datasets, feature extraction methods, the comparison results and futures studies of the facial emotion system.
. Yang, D., Abeer Alsadone, P.W.C., Dingh, A. K., and Elchouemi, A. An Emotion Recognition Model Based on Facial Recognition in Virtual Learning Environmet. Procedia Computer Science 125 (2018) 2-10.
. Kalsum, T., Anwar, S. M., Majid, M., Khan, B., & Ali, S. M.(2018) Emotion recognition from facial expressions using hybrid feature descriptors. 12(6), IET Image Processing, 1004-1012.
. Sang, D. V., and Van Dat, N. (2017, October) "Facial expression recognition using deep convolutional neural networks" In Knowledge and Systems Engineering (KSE), 2017 9th International Conference on, pp. 130-135). IEEE.
. Wu, B.F., and Lin, C.H. "Adaptive Feature Mapping for Customizing Deep Learning Based Facial Expression Recognition model. IEEE Access 6, 2018; 12451-12461.
. Qi, Chao, et al. "Facial Expressions Recognition Based on Cognition and Mapped Binary Patterns" (2018):18759-18803, IEEE Access 6.
. Shabat, A.M., and Tapamo, J.R. "Angled local directional pattern for texture analysis with an application to facial expression recognition", ISSN 1751-9632, IET Computer Vision (February 2018).
. Sreedharan, N. P. N., Ganesan, B., Raveendran, R., Sarala, P., and Dennis, B. (September, 2018) "Grey Wolf optimization-based feature selection and classification for facial emotion recognition" IET Biometrics, doi: 10.1049/iet-bmt.2017.0160.
. Munir, A., Hussain, A., Khan, S. A., Nadeem, M., & Arshid, S. (2018)"Illumination invariant facial expression recognition using selected merged binary patterns for real world images"Optic 158: 1016-1025.
. Majumder, A., Behera, L., & Subramanian, V. K. "Automatic Facial Expression Recognition System Using Deep Network-Based Data Fusion". IEEE Transactions on cybernetics. (2016).
. Guo, Jianzhu, et al. "Dominant and Complementary Emotion Recognition From Still Images of Faces" IEEE Access (April 2018), Volume 6, 26391-26403.
. Tautkute, , I., Trzcinski, T., and Bielski, A. (2018). I Know How You Feel: Emotion with Facial Landmarks, arXiv: preprint arXiv:1805.00326.
. Slimani, K., Kas, M., El Merabet, Y., Messoussi, R., & Ruichek, Y. (2018, March), "Facial emotion recognition : A comparative analysis using 22 LBP variants" In Proceedings of the 2nd Mediterranean Conference on Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence. (pp. 88-94). ACM.
. Chen, J., Chen, Z., Chi, Z., & Fu, H.(2018). Facial expression recognition in video with multiple feature fusion. IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing, 9(1), 38-50.
. Zeng, N., Zhang, H., Song, B., Liu, W., Li, Y., & Dobaie, A. M. (2018) "Facial expression recognition via learning deep sparse autoencoders" Neurocomputing, 273, 643-649.
. Barros, P., Parisi, G.I., Weber, C., & Wermter, S. (2017). Emotion-modulated attention improves expression recognition: A deep learning model. Neurocomputing, 253, 104-114.
. Li, S., and Deng, W. "Reliable crowdsourcing and deep locality-preserving learning for unconstrained facial expression recognition", IEEE trans. On Image Processing, 28(1), 356-370, 2019.
. Guo, J., Zhou, S., Wu, J., Wan, J., Zhu, X., Lei, Z., & Li, S. Z. (2017, May). Multi-modality network with visual and geometrical information for micro emotion recognition. In Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition (FG 2017), 2017 12th IEEE International Conference on (pp.814-819). IEEE.
. Zhang, H., Li, Q., Sun, Z., and Liu, Y. (2018). Combining data-driven and model-driven methods for robust facial landmark detection. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 13(10), 2409-2422.
. Tang, Y., Zhang, X. M., & Wang, H. (2018). Geometric-Convolutional Feature Fusion Based on Learning Propagation for Facial Expression Recognition. IEEE Access, 6, 42532-42540.
. Ferreira, P. M., Marques, F., Cardoso, J. S., & Rebelo, A. (2018). Physiological Inspired Deep Neural Networks for Emotion Recognition. IEEE Access, 6, 53930-53943.
. Yan, K., Zheng, W., Zhang, T., Zong, Y., & Cui, Z. (2018). Cross-database non-frontal facial expression recognition based on transductive deep transfer learning. arXiv preprint arXiv:1811.12774.
. Mayya, V., Pai, R. M., & Pai, M. M. (2016). Automatic facial expression recognition using DCNN. Procedia Computer Science, 93, 453-461.
. Zheng, W., Zong, Y., Zhou, X., & Xin, M. (2018). Cross-domain color facial expression recognition using transductive transfer subspace learning. IEEE transactions on Affective Computing, 9(1), 21-37.
. Ekman, P., Friesen, W.V., Facial Action Coding System a technique for the measurement of facial movement. Palo AltO: Consulting Psychologists Press, pp. 271-302, 1978.
. Lucey, P., Cohn, J. F., Kanade, T., Saragih, J., Ambadar, Z., & Matthews, I. (2010, June). The extended cohn-kanade dataset (ck+): A complete dataset for action unit and emotion-specified expression. In Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), 2010 IEEE Computer Society Conference on (pp. 94-101). IEEE.
. Lyons, M. J., Akamatsu, S., Kamachi, M., Gyoba, J., & Budynek, J. (1998, April). The Japanese female facial expression (JAFFE) database. In Proceedings of third international conference on automatic face and gesture recognition (pp. 14-16).
. Loob, C., Rasti, P., Lüsi I., Junior, J.C.J., Baró, X., Escalera, S., Sapinski, T., Kaminska, D. and Anbarjafari, G., 2017, May. Dominant and complementary multi-emotional facial expression recognition using c-support vector classification. In Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG 2017), 2017 12th IEEE International Conference on (pp. 833-838). IEEE.
. Dhall, A., Goecke, R, Lucey, S., & Gedeon, T.Static facial expression in the wild: data experiment protocol. CVHCI Google Scholar.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to reject the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.