Implementation of TCP Congestion Control mechanism for Wireless Networks using TCP Reserved Field and Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)
TCP is the most popular and widely used network transmission protocol. All most 90% of the Internet connections make use of TCP for communication. TCP is reliable for wired networks and it considers all packet timeouts in wired networks as due to network congestion and not because of bit errors. However, TCP suffers from performance degradation over error-prone wireless links, as it has no technique to distinguish error deficits from congestion deficits, with networking becoming more divergent, with wired and wireless topologies. It considers all packet deficits are due to congestion and subsequently reduces the packet burst transmission, at the same time decreasing the network throughput. In this paper a new TCP congestion control mechanism is proposed that is suitable and applicable for wireless and also for wired networks and is capable of distinguishing congestion deficits from error deficits. The proposed technique uses the reserved field of the TCP header to indicate whether the connection established is over a wired or a wireless link.
Further, the proposed technique influences the usage of Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) to discover the reliability of the link and determine whether to decrease the packet burst or retransmit the timed-out packet. Investigations performed, revealed that the proposed mechanism confirmed to function amend in circumstances where timeouts were due to error and not due to congestion. Further, the future work can be enhanced upon the proposed mechanism so that it can leverage Cyclic Redundancy Check(CRC) and Header Error Check(HEC) errors so that it can be properly determined the reason for initializing transmission timeouts in wireless networks.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to reject the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.