Designing an Arabic Handwritten Segmentation System
The greatest difficulty facing the recognition of Arabic handwritten words is segmentation, because Arabic handwriting is cursive with complex multi-form styles. Hence, intensive research efforts are needed to reach an effective Arabic handwriting segmentation system. This paper presents a system which uses morphological features of the Arabic characters for segmentation. The proposed system segments non-overlapped (horizontally connected -e.g. "حسن") as well as overlapped (vertically connected - e.g. "نجد") characters. The result is not very good one. However, it arrives at good directives for more research. As the writing was freely without any restrictions, both over-segmentation and under-segmentation problems affect the system.
Sari, Souici and Sellami, "Off-Line Handwritten Arabic Character Segmentation Algorithm: ACSA ", Proceeding of the eighth International workshop on frontiers in handwriting recognition, (2002).
Abuhaiba, "A Discrete Arabic script for Better Automatic Document Understanding ", the Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, (April 2003).
Touj, Amara and Amiri, "Two Approaches for Arabic Scrip recognition-based Segmentation Using the Hough Transform ", Document Analysis and Recognition, Volume 2, Page (s): 654 - 658, (2007).
Ayman Mohammad Bahaa Eldeen Sadeq, "Intelligent Neural System for Character Recognition", A Thesis Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements of the Degree of Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (Computer & Systems), (1999).
Bushofa and Spann, "Segmentation and recognition of Arabic Characters by Structural Classification ", Image and Vision Computing, (1997).
Fakir, Hassani and Sodeyama, "On the Recognition of
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to reject the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.