Birth Notification Service for Civil Registration in Kenya - SOA Model
The aim of this study was to investigate application of modern ICT technologies in solving birth notification problems in rural communities and the sharing of birth information with various stakeholders. The specific objectives that study sought to address include; investigation of current birth notification system in Kenya, the processes, finding the appropriateness of application of service oriented architecture in designing and developing a prototype for birth notification solution. The intention was to allow real time pre-notification of birth events by parents, verification of that information by local agents, and sharing of that data for use by other government agents. The events that take place in hospitals were also included in a broad solution. The study used two approaches where case study of a remote Sub County of injara in Garissa County was used to study rural events and processes. In this approach interviews and questionnaires were used to evaluate current processes as well as enquire the applicability of intended solution. Then IT product design and development was used to develop prototype based on service oriented methodology . This is an iterative and incremental process of transforming organizational business processes to services until services are developed, deployed and can execute as expected. The prototype was developed where parents and guardians would notify birth events as soon as they happen, using SMS, web portal or mobile application. The testing and evaluation findings revealed that application of integrated services of SMS, Web application and Mobile application have positive implications in birth notification process. Study also found that these integrated services can improve birth notification experience both for rural events and hospital events as well as provide real time data for other consumers such as national health care insurers as well as statistical data consumers.
Papazoglou, M.P., & G. Georgakapoulos, Introduction to the Special Issue about Service- Oriented Computing, CACM, 46(10): 24-29.
http://www.cpc.unc.edu/measure/pima/baseline-assessments/national-civil-registration-and-vital-statistics-system accessed on 20th February 2016
WHO. 2013. Civil Registration and Vital Statistics Challenges, best practice and design principles for modern systems.
UNICEF. 2013. A Passport to Protection: A guide to birth registration programming. UNICEF: New York
Thuraisingham, . 2010 "SOA and Web Services",Secure Semantic Service-Oriented Systems.
Health Metrics Network MOVE-IT Country Projects in Africa and ... (n.d.). Retrieved February 27, 2016, from http://www.who.int/healthmetrics/move_it/move-it_projects_1582011_final.pdf.
Ngoma Caroline, Chawani Marlen Stacey (2011) : Adaptation of Mobile Application to Improve Flow of Birth Information from the Community to the District Level .University of Oslo, Norway. Department of Informatics.
GSMA Mobile Identity Team: Mobile Birth Registration in Sub-Saharan Africa .A case study of Orange Senegal and Uganda Telecom solutions.
Trochim,M. (2006). Research Methods Knowledgebase, 1st ed. New York: International Publishers.
Mugenda, A.and Mugenda,O.(2003)Research Methods: Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches. African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS, Nairobi, Kenya).
Kothari, C. R. (2004). Research Methodology. New Delhi: New Age international.
Erl, T. (2005) “Service-Oriented Architecture: Concepts, Technology, and Design”.
Papazoglou M.P (2006), Principles and Foundations of Web Services: A holistic view.
Doug Rosenberg (2010).Modeling Service-Oriented Architectures: An Illustrated Example using Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect.
Fielding, R.T (2000). Architectural styles and the design of the network-based software architectures .university of California:Irvine
Ozeki informatics. Ozeki SMS Gateway [Online]. Available at http://www.ozekisms.com/index.php?owpn=368 accessed on 16 july 2016
Hambling, et.al (2013). User Acceptance Testing: A Step by Step Guide. Swindon: BCS Learning and Development Ltd. ISBN 978-1-78017-167-8.
Braa J, Sahay S. (2012) Integrated health information architecture: power to the users. Delhi: Matrix Publishers.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to reject the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.